Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Manna for July 19 -- He is Near

Monday Manna


This is my first time joining in on Monday Manna. The purpose of Monday Manna is to get together and get to know Christ more through His Word. Please visit Joanne Sher's blog at An Open Book to read more on Monday Manna entries. This week's verse is Psalm 34:18.
The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart,
And saves such as have a contrite spirit. Psalm 34:18 NKJV


Last Halloween my friend’s husband left her and their two sons to move in with his girlfriend. She was devastated and angry. As I watched her through the next several months, I saw a wonderful strength in my friend that she had not had before. She was learning to depend on God in a new way: her faith was becoming more real and more personal.

About six months later I entered a personal crisis in my own life. Nothing I had ever experienced prepared me for the level of pain brought about by that crisis. I now know why they use the expression of ripping out one’s heart.

Like my friend, I learned to lean on the only One with all of the answers. Yes, there are a few good friends who have walked me through the worst of the pain, but ultimately, it was God’s wisdom in these woman that brought comfort.

My prayers have changed from a list of praises and requests to pouring my heart out to God. All of my confusion, hurt, and anger in the situation, I discuss with Him and lay at His feet. He is the source of my strength, my comfort, my perseverance to endure. He has become my Lifeline.

I still turn to my core group of friends, perhaps more than I should. But ultimately, even their input pales to the peace that envelopes me when I lean on my Savior.

4 comments:

Lynda Schultz said...

When everything and everyone else fails, then we know that fullest expression of God's presence.

Blessings on you.

Wanda said...

Joanney, your testimony is very moving. Nothing makes the living Word more alive to us than we come face-to-face with situations that causes us to cling to his promises. Blessings to you. I stopped by from Joanne.

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, Joanney. So glad you have Him to lean on - what a wonderfully real illustration of God's love and strength. Thanks for participating. Hope this won't be the last time :)

midspoint said...

Hey, Sweet Friend...that was the first thing that came to mind, but as someone else put it, I so hoped I was wrong. No amount of comforting words can console...it's a heart matter, and one the sufferer must go through with only the Lord to lead and guide. It is a test of our own hearts as we sort out the hurt and pain and rejection. Yep...I've been there...Long time ago...but I so understand. Praying for healing and for the Lord to do that perfect work!! Loveya!