Saturday, April 23, 2011

Today in (Personal) history

Most years, April 23 has been a typical day on the calendar: special in its own way, but nothing noteworthy. Yet, more than any other date, today is the anniversary of painful events in my life.


Twenty-three years ago today would have been my wedding day had I not realized two month before that if I married this guy, I would end up either dead, in a hospital, or in a battered women’s shelter. That is not what I looked forward to in a marriage. I broke off the wedding and four years later, married someone else.

Last year, on this date, I found evidence of my husband’s affair. After a week of research, prayer, and the advice of wise friends, I confronted him and learned he had known her for two years.


I find it appropriate that this anniversary falls on the Saturday of Holy Week, the time between celebrating the Death of Christ on Good Friday, and His Resurrection on Easter Sunday. That is exactly what this day means in my life.


Although I broke off the relationship two months before the wedding, April 23 is a day that reminds me of the chapter in my life in which my Good Friday was followed by the Easter of freedom, recovery and growth. Likewise, the pain of learning of my husband’s betrayal has been the Good Friday of another chapter in my life in which God has used evil circumstances to draw me closer to Him. With each of these events, God has given me a new start, a New Life, and a better understanding of who He wants me to become.


2 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

Praying for you today, Joanney. So glad God uses EVERY circumstance. Blessings, my friend

Toyin O. said...

That is terrible, I pray God continues to comfort you.