Monday, February 14, 2011

Love is Not Selfish


"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love, Honor one another above yourselves" Romans 12:10

Going through a divorce has caused me to look more intently at myself in many areas, including my obedience to his verse. Am I really as self-centered and neglegent of others as my ex-husband says I am? Unfortunately, in many ways, I am. It is human nature, and with out God's help and a conscience effort to the contrary, I can be nothing else.

A broken marriage has tested my devotion to many things -- God, values, husband, kids. I do not always past these tests, but I am learning to lean on God which makes the rest of them easier (possible) as well.

Single parenting has taught me what it really means to "Honor one another above yourselves." I cannot encourage my sons to have a healthy relationship with their father if I am not honoring him in what I say about him. I cannot teach them to respect him if I am being disrespectful towards him.

Single parenting has also taught me a lot about self-sacrafice, about putting my sons above myself. It would be easy to take the attitude that they are now teens and can do a lot for themselves. After all, I am going to school and working to pay the bills. But I am not called to merely provide for them. I am called to love them, to raise them to be Christ-like. This takes self-sacrafice towards them and more importantly, towards Christ.

God can and does use the trials in our lives to help us grow, to help us to be more like Him. Showing His love to others is one way that He is working in my life through my circumstances.

Thanks for reading! Be sure to stop by Vonnie's blog for more Monday Manna - and to link up your own thoughts on this verse!

3 comments:

Yvonne Blake said...

Lord, thank you for Joanney's attitude. Keep her strong and close to You. Give her wisdom as she raises her boys. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Joanne Sher said...

What a fabulous attitude you have, Joanney. Praying for His strength. This is a great post.

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

You have a tough row to hoe. I'm sure I would be having some pity parties if I were in your shoes. May God continue to grant you the wisdom and strength you need for each day.