Monday, January 12, 2009

Catch UP -- January 2

Okay, so I said I would post daily. Ha. Actually I knew I would be gone for the first weekend in January but did expect to post again when I got back. Unfortunately, the week got ahead of me. So, here is what I wrote based on my devotional on January 2. A rundown of the rest of the week will follow later today.

January 2, 2009

I woke up this morning grumbling about how horrible I had slept. I could not get comfortable on either of my sister’s couches. I would have moved to the floor if I could figure out where on the floor I would not be in the way for Mom to get to the bathroom.

This morning’s devotional started with “Sing aloud to God our strength; shout for joy to the God of Jacob! Raise a song; sound the tambourine, the sweet lyre with the harp. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.” (Psalm 81:1-2, 40:3 ESV) This attitude of praise in all things contradicted my initial attitude this morning.

I often sound like the Israelites grumbling in the desert when I really have no reason to grumble. I need to remind myself what Nehemiah told the people returning to Israel: “The joy of the Lord is your strength.” (Nehemiah 8:10 ESV). Whether in small things like being comfortable where I sleep, or major life crisis, I need to develop an attitude of praise in every circumstance.

Heavenly Father, I praise you for this new day that You have given me. Thank you for a place to sleep last night and for the sleep that I did get. I want to praise you in all things, to see Your blessings in each trail and triumph. Remind me, Lord, when I start to grumble of Your mercies and Your love. In Jesus’ Precious Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Isn't it just like God to give you a verse like that when all you want to do is wallow in self-pity? I can so relate!