Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Begining

New Year's most popular tradition is to think about and examine our lives and vow to do better in one or more areas. We all can think of many different areas that we would like to improve, to become better people. These lists tend to reveal what is important to us, but sometimes not important enough to follow through.

My devotional this morning included the verses 1 Cor 9:24,25. "24Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.25Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable." (ESV) (NIV uses crown for wreath.)

My goals for the New Year always fall short because I do not keep the goal in mind. While a long list of blog posts may keep me going, the real prize that I strive for is the eternal crown. That is the goal.

The ESV version points out that athletes need self-control in all things to reach the goal of winning the race. That is the one ingredient that seems to be lacking in my New Year's Resolutions most years. It is easy to let the circumstances of life effect our goals, to get us sidetracked.

Father, I pray that You will give me and all that read this blog the strength and encouragement to press on for the goal that You have placed before us. Help us to keep our eyes on You, even and especially in the trials of this life. Amen.

No comments: