Monday, January 12, 2009

God Speaks...

I promised this morning to post a rundown of what God has shown me so far this month in my quiet time. I admit there are a few days missing.

On Sunday, January 4, I woke-up stranded in an ice storm in Ackley, IA with my Bible and suitcase in Waverly, IA. My devotion time was prayer and Christian radio during the 3 hour drive back to Minnesota. One song in particular touched my heart on the drive home. Although I have heard the song many times and most likely sang along, I really HEARD the words of the chorus that afternoon. I believe it was the Ray Boltz version of the song "Trust His Heart" by Babbie Mason and Eddie Carswell. I could not find Ray Boltz on YouTube but I did find the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh65wLVbaww&feature=related The words to the chorus are as follows:

God is too wise to be mistaken.
God is too good to be unkind.
So when you don't understand,
when you don't see His plan,
When you cant trace His hand, trust His heart.

I don't always know what God's plans are in a given situation, but I know that He loves me and will help me through whatever trial comes my way.

Monday, January 5, the verse that stood out to me was Isaiah 28:12 which the English Standard Version quotes as "This is rest; give rest to the weary; this is repose." This same concept came up later in the week as I talked to a young man leaving our company to return to Bible College in Florida. We were discussing generosity and the theology that we will be rewarded for giving. When we give rest, money, love, or any other number of things to other people, we receive blessings from God. Sometimes they are the same thing that we give away -- rest or love -- but not always. If I anonymously give a single mom money to buy Christmas gifts for her kids, I do not expect God to drop money into my bank account as a result. My reward may be as simple as seeing that friend's excitement as she shops for her kids or wraps what she bought for them.

On Tuesday, January 6, God told me that the Splendor He has given me has made my beauty perfect. (Ezekiel 16:14) I do not always feel beautiful, but in God's eyes, I am and it is in His eyes that my worth is determined. On the other hand, I must take heed with the next verse and not trust in my beauty. My trust must remain in God alone.

Wednesday, January 7, I was reminded that God expects us to keep the devotion of our youth. When we first come to know Christ we are like young brides, so in love with Him. In Jeremiah 2:2 He says "I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert, through a land not sown." How easy it is to loose that love during the course of a marriage or our walk with God. We need to be intentional about keeping that level of devotion in both our earthly and heavenly relationships.

Thursday, January 8, I read Hebrews 13:6 where it quotes Psalm 118:6,7 "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid, What can man do to me?" I need to hide this verse in my heart to overcome the fears and worries in my life.

Friday through Sunday I did not spend the time I should have with God. Sure, I included Him in my day as always, but I did not intentionally set aside time for Him like I should.

I think I will leave today's lesson for a separate post and try to do a better job of journaling online what God shares with me during my time with Him.

No comments: