Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chirst In Me

Jesus answered: “Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:9

When I started my new job last October I was somewhat shocked at the reality of spending eight hours a day in a non-Christian environment. It did not take me long to realize that my co-workers were part of the "unbelieving and perverse generation." Although I did not feel that I was, I prayed that I could be a light in the darkness of my part of the office.

Some of the anti-Christian comments made by my co-workers have made me hesitant to openly speak of my faith, so I often question if I showing Christ to my co-workers at all. I have noticed a very slight difference in the frequency of the some of the perversion.

Two incidences have given me hope that my character, if not my faith, have at least made an impact on my co-workers. I made a negative comment about one of the attorneys in the office and immediately apologized to the co-workers who heard it. One of them said something to the effect that they all say things even worse than that about other people so it was not big deal. But another co-worker repeated the line that I have adopted from another friend when I say something I shouldn't have said -- "Bad dog, no biscuit."

The other is when one employee was swearing and another said something to him. He made the comment that it was nothing unusual but if Josh started swearing, it might be worth noticing because Josh does not swear as often. Then it was said that if I started swearing they would look for flying pigs.

I hope that through these character differences, my co-workers will see Christ in me. Because if they do not see Christ in the followers of Christ that He puts in their lives, how will they listen when someone tells them about Him?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're right! Keep demonstrating Christ by the way you live and be ready for opportunities to speak when they come. Perhaps some of the material in my website may be of encouragement to you.
www.calledintowork.com
Larry Peabody
LDPeabody@aol.com