Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philipians 4:6-7 (NIV)

When I first started reading Christian fiction, I found one author whose stories I enjoyed that seemed to have a reoccurring theme that "worry is a sin." If I recall, in several of her books one character or another would remind or inform the main character of this concept in those exact words. This concept was new to me at the time. Although I've never considered myself to be a worry-wart, I still had worries and considered it natural.

Learning to turn everything over to God is a challenge that I don't always succeed at accomplishing. I worry about my kids and their future. I worry about my husband making it home from a business trip safely. Yet as I worry, I sense God's gentle reminder to turn it over to Him. When I obey this nudge, I am filled with His Peace about the situation. I can feel His guard of protection on my heart and my mind.

No comments: