Monday, July 7, 2008

Balanced Diet

My husband often has to remind me to eat a balanced diet. I do eat fruits and veggies but not as much as I should. I prefer my starches and will take seconds on potatoes before I will on veggies. It is not that I do not like fruits and veggies, I just prefer potatoes. I know that I need a balanced diet, but that does not always mean that I eat a balanced diet.

Sometimes my spiritual diet is heavy in one food group and short in another. Knowing that I need a spiritual diet of God's Word, prayer, worship and teaching does not always mean that I balance these things in my life. I may worship as I listen to the radio during the day, but not turn to God in prayer through whatever comes my way. Or I may turn to God in prayer several times a day without ever opening His Word to see what He has to say to me that day, or on a particular matter that concerns me.

Just as eating an unbalanced diet of food does not always have immediate consequences, an unbalanced spiritual life also has hidden symptoms. If I am reading God's Word, but not praying, my quiet time becomes monotonous and legalistic. If I spend time praying without worshipping or reading my Bible, my prayers become empty requests, demands on God.

I want to eat a balanced diet, both physically and spiritually. In order to do this, I must regularly watch and evaluate my habits.

No comments: