Sunday, July 13, 2008

Garlic Herb Bread

I have noticed when attending Pampered Chef parties, it is easy to tell who likes to cook with garlic and who does not. As the consultant passes around the garlic press after using it, most women will either smell the press with delight, or turn their nose and pass it quickly. I am one who smells the wonderful (IMO) aroma of the garlic press. My oldest son will stop at in the produce section of a grocery store to smell the garlic.

One of our favorite uses is in making garlic cheese bread. I have a wonderful recipe that I use that I adopted from a jar of Italian seasoning (I added garlic to the suggested recipe.) Since my kids really liked this garlic bread, I decided to try something new. I looked at and tried two different Italian bread recipes -- one for the bread machine and one for my KitchenAid mixer. I then took what I liked about both recipes and combined them and added the ingredients that I would normally put on top to make garlic cheese bread. Here is my recipe for Garlic Cheese Bread. You should be able to do this in the bread machine, but I prefer to use the dough only option and bake all my breads in the oven. Therefore, I choose to use write the directions for the KitchenAid.

Garlic Cheese Bread


10 oz warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbls olive oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbls garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I usually use Cheddar or Coby Jack)
4 c flour
1/4 c Parmesan Cheese

Dissolve yeast in water. Dust bread pan or cooking stone with cornmeal. Put all ingredients in KitchenAid mixer with dough hook. Mix until form into ball and sides of bowl are clean. Shape into pan or on stone. Let rise 1 hour. Bake at 425 until light brown (about 30-45 min).

Spread butter onoutide of loaf while still warm, if desired. Enjoy.

No comments: