Saturday, July 19, 2008

Leftovers vs Tithing

I use to be able to get several meals out of leftovers. I would cook a whole chicken and use the leftovers to make chicken ala king. The leftover chicken ala king would then go into chicken pot pie for yet another meal. Now when I cook a whole chicken, the leftovers get made into sandwiches and chicken melts without leaving enough for chicken ala king. When I do have enough leftover chicken to make this family favorite, the leftovers are rare and never enough for pot pie.

My attitude towards giving to God use to be the same as my attitude towards chicken for two of our favorite meals – use what is left over. As the offering plate was passed, I would look in my purse and see what was there, using that to determine if and how much I gave. Sometimes I would give $5, sometimes $20. Often, I did not have any money to give at all.

God does not ask us for leftovers. He asks for the first fruits of our labor. In 1997, I made a New Year’s Resolution to start tithing and to pay off the credit card. Paul said I couldn’t do both, where would we get the extra money to pay off the credit card if we starting “spending” more of his paycheck by tithing? I knew that I was being convicted that we needed to do this, so I stuck by my guns. In February, we received a bonus check that covered the balance on the credit card. That summer we put new carpet in the house without carrying the balance on the credit card. As Paul would say, it is amazing how much further 90% goes than 100%. God is faithful when we tithe.

Just as we now budget our tithe to come out before any other bills or expenses, I also cook chicken for the sole purpose of making chicken a la king or chicken pot pie. My family likes these meals enough to make them without leftovers. God deserves even more.

No comments: