Friday, July 11, 2008

Vacation

We are leaving to go out of town for the weekend. We will be in the Black Hills of South Dakota at the “hunting lodge” owned by a group from our church in Sioux Falls. Whenever we go on a trip even for a weekend, I make a list of things to bring. We need sleeping bags, clothes, food, bug spray, sunscreen, etc for our trip. But it always seems that, even with a list, we get partway down the road, or to our destination, and realize that we forgot something important. Our last camping trip, I forgot to pack pillows – for everyone. I had such a stiff neck afterwards that I could not turn my head far enough to the side to align it with my shoulder.

When I go on trips, I usually remember to bring my Bible. Unfortunately, I sometimes put my Bible reading on vacation as well. As my routine is interrupted by a change of location and schedule, I put off or forget to do my quiet time.

At other times, I find myself sitting in the quiet of a select location in God’s beautiful creation and spending more time with Him than I would at home. This is the type of vacation I want for this weekend. Not to leave the Spiritual Disciplines unpacked and at home, but to pack them into the time I have away.

No comments: