Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4 Picnic

Happy Birthday, America!

We will watch some fireworks with my Mother-in-law and one of Paul's sisters and her family. Tomorrow is our big gathering for a family picnic. This picnic will include not only my husband's mom and siblings, but also his aunts and uncle and cousins, possibly even some of his mom's cousins.

I grew up with a few annual family reunions for the various brances of the family tree, but for the most part, that was the only time I saw my relatives beyond my first cousins. I grew up not really knowing my relatives beyond my grandparents, aunts, uncles and first cousins. My kids see their second cousins at least six times a year for family picnics and holidy dinners.

So, the question remains, what to bring to the family picnic. I had thought about doing a watermelon salad inside the watermelon, but Paul's cousin volunteered to bring fruit. I might still bring it as there will be several people there. The farmer's market in town has a booth that sells a pineapple salsa that makes a really good dip for tortilla chips, so I am thinking I will take that and also some regular Con Queso dip for the less adventurous. Of course, the desserts are what are snacked on the most, so we will have to take some kind of bars and maybe some puppy chow.

The picnic is set up as a "Bring your own meat" with shared side dishes, desserts, and drinks. Mom and Paul's aunts are in charge of the charcoal, condiments and buns. One year, they bought a lot of buns and everyone brought something different that didn't need buns -- venison steaks, chicken, etc. Haven't decided yet what we are taking for meat. I should obey the email and take burgers, brats or hot dogs, but will probably take venison.

Have a good Fourth, everyone.

No comments: