Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Scripture Cake

I use to have a cake recipe that listed the ingredients in terms of Bible references. The recipe might have listed “2 of Job 39:14” instead of asking for 2 eggs, with the entire recipe written like this. While it was fun to look up the verses to determine what the ingredients were, we threw away the recipe as well as the cake.

I always thought it would be fun to write other recipes using Scripture verses, but never really tried to do it. In the long run, it was a lot more work to make the cake than if it had been written like a regular recipe, and some of the references were vague. So what, then, would be the advantage of writing a recipe in Bible verses?

I think that if I were to write such a recipe the only purpose would be to boost my own pride. It may give me an attitude of accomplishment for something done in my own power: proof that I knew enough Scripture, or at least how to find enough Scripture, to complete such a task. But a prideful heart does not serve God’s kingdom, even if the task does use the Bible.

There have been many times when my pride has hindered my ability to be used by God, whether in an organized ministry or an everyday opportunity. I must constantly remind myself that all ministry is ineffective if I don’t first turn it over to God. He has called me to plant seeds and to water them, not to make them grow. (“I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.” 1 Cor. 3:6). Sometimes, He may ask me to be present at the Harvest, but when that happens, it is not my doing, but His.

Is it wrong to use Bible verses in a recipe? I do not think so. I do have another recipe that includes Bible verses in the instructions, but they are used to tell the Easter story. I have used this recipe to teach my children. This is a much better application of Scripture in a recipe.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim 3:16-17)

1 comment:

Margaret said...

When reading your lastest blog I feel closer to you then ever. I feel like your recipe makes me think about my recipe, meaning the way I live my life through scripture. Am I living the way God wants me to? Am I teaching my children to be like Christ? I would say to answer those questions I need only look at my Servant's Heart like you to know that we are both doing the best we can. As always you leave me with tons of "recipes" to think about. I'm not one to go and exclaim to the world about my relationship with God, I know that you can and I love you even more for it. You should be so proud of yourself for making awesome recipes in our lives.