Monday, July 14, 2008

Blueberry Applesauce

When my oldest was a baby I babysat before and after school for a family with a kindergartner and a second grader. The kindergartner, Blair, went to school only in the morning and I would have him all afternoon.

At that point in his life, my son was still eating babyfood and his favorite fruit was the blueberry apples. Blair tried them and would have eaten a whole jar if I had let him. I decided that sometime I would make blueberry applesauce and see if the kids liked it as well as they did the blueberry apples baby food. Now whenever I ask the kids to get some applesauce out of the freezer, they usually choose the blueberry applesauce first.


Blueberry Applesauce

4 quarts apples, cored and peeled
8 oz fresh blueberries
3 c water
3 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg

Heat apples, blueberries and water to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occassionally to break up apples, until tender. (5-10 minutes). Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Let sit until cool enough to put into 1 quart freezer bags. Makes approx. 3 quart.

No comments: