Sunday, July 20, 2008

Creative Juices

Last month my sister and nephews were in town and we ate together at Perkins. My sister had a piece of pie that sounded delicious, but I didn’t try it. I typically order a pie that I will never make myself – like French Silk or Key Lime. This pie was a strawberry pie with a layer of custard in the bottom.

Today, I decided to try making a similar pie. I found a recipe for custard pie, cut the ingredients in half and baked it in a larger pie pan than the full recipe requested. I then took my normal strawberry pie and put that on top of the custard.

I do not see myself as a creative person. My biggest hindrance to creativity seems to be coming up with original ideas. Solomon tells us in Ecclesiastes 1:9 “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.” Perhaps I don’t need original ideas, just less common ones.

Despite my lack of creativity, I enjoy doing creative things; crafts, writing, sewing. It gives me a glimpse into God’s creativity and makes me even more in awe of all that He has created. That itself is worth the effort.

Here is the recipe I created today by combining the two recipes.

Strawberry Custard Pie

2 eggs
5 ½ Tbls sugar
1 2/3 c milk
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450. Beat egg slightly. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Put pie crust in pan and place in oven. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake 20 minutes. Poke with toothpick halfway between center and edge. If comes out clean, take out pie, if not reduce heat to 350 and cook until toothpick comes out clean.

1-2 pints strawberries, enough to fill remaining of pie shell
1 c sugar
1 c hot water
3 Tbls cornstarch
3 Tbls strawberry gelatin

Cook the sugar, hot water and cornstarch until thickened. Add gelatin. Cool and pour over strawberries in pie shell. Top with whipped cream.

No comments: